This class will introduce the student to the concept and practice of do it yourself reflow soldering for surface mount components. Being able to use surface mount components in your design can enable smaller and less costly projects in addition to increasing the number of chips that are usable in your designs.
This class is mainly geared towards people familiar with through hole soldering and electronics who are looking to make their projects smaller and cheaper at the expense of increased complexity. You will have the chance to practice re-flow solder while making a useful widget. At the end of the class, you will have your very own logic level converter to take home with you so that you may continue on your path of hobby making/tinkering.
The instructors for this class are:
Zach has been designing and creating integrated circuits and printed circuit boards throughout college and in his free time. Recently he moved from using all through hole components to surface mount components and would like to share what he has learned.
The instruction will take place in the classroom and electronics space @ PaxSpace.
- No previous knowledge or experience required
- The student must be a high school student or older
- The student may be a middle school student with parent present
- The general PaxSpace Waiver must be signed and on file
Equipment and Supplies
- Soldering Stations (clean up work)
- Reflow Station
- Components (10k resistors and transistors)
- Premade pcb (inhouse Pax Space)
- Soldering Paste and tools
- Members: $5 (for materials)
- Non Members: $15 ($10 non-member fee plus $5 for materials)
After registering you will receive a confirmation email with instructions on how to pay for this class.
Interested in this class but don't see one scheduled? Please click here and tell us to schedule one!