Mini-Lathe Repair/Upgrade

Home Forums Projects Mini-Lathe Repair/Upgrade

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nicholas Clark 3 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Matthew Virts
    Participant

Hi!

Today I took apart the mini Lathe (jeweler’s lathe?) that was sitting on the workbench in the shop and with Mike’s help got all of the parts in working order. The lathe needs a few belts and it should work. I know nothing about lathes and their proper use but would like to get this working and learn how to use it. I’m thinking that this could be a good device to add CNC to, maybe after the router is finished. A few photos of the lathe are attached. The last photo is the sticker on the motor.

Also, something I learned while working on this: That lathe is not a heavy-duty piece of equipment, over torqueing the knobs will strip the screws that hold the knobs in place, ruining that axis.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Nicholas Clark
    Keymaster

You beat me to it! Looks good. We have a very old Singer that I will be attacking very soon and might need some help.

Matthew Virts
    Participant

Let me know if you want to plan a time to work on it! I’m thinking about just ordering the belts for this lathe myself, is there any reason I shouldn’t do that?

For the future, I ran across a CNC conversion kit for one of these on ebay, looks super simple. attached are some images from the ebay listing as inspiration for how we could turn ours into a CNC mini lathe

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Nicholas Clark
    Keymaster

A few of us plan to be hanging out tonight after 9pm if you’re interested.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sponsors

Calendar

<< Apr 2017 >>
SMTWTFS
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 1 2 3 4 5 6

Twitter Feed