MIT App Inventor for Android

Home Forums Suggestions MIT App Inventor for Android

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Nicholas Clark 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Michael Parks
    Participant

Has anyone played with the MIT App Inventor website? http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/

I think a great class could be built around teaching programming and mobile app design. I’ve dabbled with it to create one app, anyone else have experience?

Tim

That looks pretty interesting… Is it an Android app Scratch development platform or is it a browser-based app only?

Paul
    Keymaster

From what I gather, It is an android scratch implementation.

Interestingly enough, the Innovation Showcase that Jim and I attended on Saturday was exactly that, a starter event to create mobile apps (on Android) using the AppInventor.

I have messed with Scratch a little bit, haven’t really done anything with it… I’d be interested in meeting up with a few people to discuss and explore the possibilities of using App Inventor as well as providing a class on its use for PaxSpace.

Michael Parks
    Participant

I made the quintessential amateur app using App Inventor (called Open Location). I had a need to make an Arduino “location aware” without a GPS module, so the app sends (via Bluetooth) a letter ‘A’ or ‘B’ depending if the user is within a user defined radius of a given coordinate . I wrote it for another project I was doing, and decided to throw it up on Play store for grins and giggles. I am actually re-writing it from scratch based on lessons learned, but still using AppInventor. There is certainly a performance hit and APK size penalty for using AppInventor but I got something working in a day vice weeks when I was trying to code in Eclipse.

Paul
    Keymaster

That’s pretty cool Mike, imo especially because you are still pushing forward with using the app inventor.

Nicholas Clark
    Keymaster

How noticeable is the performance hit?

Michael Parks
    Participant

It feels like how Android used to be prior to the introduction of the “Butter” feature. I guess it’s like comparing how stock Android felt running Froyo/Gingrtbread vs Jelly Bean/Kit Kat. I have ran any system diagnostics tools but I am assuming it’s eating a lot of RAM. Again I don’t have solid data, just subjective feel on my part.

Michael Parks
    Participant

I’d like to go ahead an volunteer to put a course together on App Inventor. Shoot for early March. Only requirement really is a computer, I am assuming between personal laptops and the classroom computers we should fine. Any one want to tag team?

Paul
    Keymaster

I’m more than willing to help out when/where needed. Feel free to either attach a draft class (once you have something down) here or on a wiki page and we can start having the discussion :)

I’m excited for an AppInventor Class. This could also tie in nicely to what CSM LaPlata is trying to do with high schoolers as they’re often having meet and greets/compeitions (Jim and I went to one late last year) about mobile apps that are developed using AppInventor.

Nicholas Clark
    Keymaster

This is a great class idea Mike. I’ve been playing with it a little and I think you’ll definitely have interest.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.