Skirmos Alternative

Home Forums Projects Skirmos Alternative

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nicholas Clark 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Michael Parks
    Participant

Anyone seen this? Skirmos… FPS video games in the real world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRPdwSoNJ_I

Looks awesome. Used something similar when I did Field Exercises. Like the idea since it’s probably cheaper in the long run and less chance of shooting any eye out compared to paintball.

With that said my daughter is not exactly enthralled by the gun aspect of the game. I am thinking doing something similar but more ‘gender’ neutral, maybe something like a magic wand vice a gun. Not sure. Not quite a CNC machine, but anyone interested?

Paul
    Keymaster

Nicholas Clark
    Keymaster

ok we totally need to turn the 3500 sqft space next to our into a laser tag place!

Paul
    Keymaster

Could you imagine?! It’d be awesome! It sounds like a pretty cool system…

Mike, you mentioned on G+ that you’ve kickstarted it…. Did you by chance kick it to where you’re going to get some hardware? I’d be interested in taking a look at the hardware to see if we could kinda replicate/duplicate/hack something similar.

I know from their provided info that they’re using arduino unos, zigbee transponders, lcd screens and some simple framework for game setup.

Michael Parks
    Participant

I did back for the $99 level so will get one system. Looking at the hardware you get, seems like the Xbee, Arduino, LCD display and assorted components are worth that price alone.

I am curious to see if they have any innovative ideas making the hit detection accurate and reasonable. The “professional” versions we used were so damn finicky. There was also one gun that the lead trainer had that was called the “God Gun” that could turn a player on/off and reset them. Now that what be the mod to make to this thing ;)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  Michael Parks.

Nicholas Clark
    Keymaster

you could totally apply similar tech to larp or, like you said mike, something with wands.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.